Friday, December 2, 2011

Xperimental X


When teaching the Enchanted Letter workshop, our first letterform needed to combine a simple script letter with an open area to flourish and decorate. There are no foliate extensions on these letterforms. I call these Embedded Letters. They are based on Victorian Embroidery techniques. The embroiderer would build up the script letterform with a satin stitch and then decorate the open area with buillion stitch roses, French knots, leaf stitch and even little pearls. Back in my embroidery days, I would probably have done a motif like this in whitework and embellished with shiny rayon or metallic threads. Painting the letter is much quicker! This 2"x2" piece is done on Fabriano HP paper and is gilded with Pallaldium leaf. This was my first time using palladium which made the letter Xperimental! It is a very different effect to look at your paper and see siver reflected back rather than gold. Initially, I did all the accent strokes in the Steriing Silver Finetec that usually lies dormant on the end of my palette. I still felt it needed the intensity of the gold and added some gold strokes as well. Background is pastel burnished with Diane Townsend pastels and the Sakura Clear Stardust gel pen adds some sparkle along with the silver hot foil. I thought the simple shape of X would work well to capture the Embedded Letter technique before I complete the project in a few weeks.

10 comments:

Dana said...

Love "Xperimental"! ...and the history behind it.

This is one of my favorites!

Xcellent!~~

xo

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!!!! Makes me want to get out the needle and thread again!
xo,
HH

Jody Meese said...

Xtraordinary!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody!!!!

acornmoon said...

Xtremely beautiful!

Thank you so much for my exquisite card which arrived today. I have both the card and the envelope on display.

x x x

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Valerie! So glad your card arrived safely. Hope you enjoy the holidays!
Heather

Joseph Chapman said...

As Oliver Hardy might have said, "In two words: X-ceptional!"

What size did you use for the Palladium? Rolco?

Heather Victoria Held said...

Leave it to Oliver Hardy!!!! Thanks Joseph. I did use Rolco for the palladium. It does the job!!!

Jane Farr said...

Gorgeous work, Heather! I liked reading about the relation to Victorian Embroidery. I bet palladium leaf would be beautiful on black paper as well.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane. The palladium would look nice on black paper! I will try it soon.
xo,
Heather