Friday, December 30, 2011

This is Z end!!!


Project completed for 2011. What a learning experience!

I had such fun along the way. It was great to play along with my dear friend Dana.
Along the way I learned many new techniques which I merged into a new workshop offering, The Enchanted Letter. I found more avenues to explore in designing illuminated letters which can be used with script lettering. One of the books I discovered along this journey is called Guide for the Drawing the Acanthus, and Every Description of Ornamental Foliage by James Page. The complete text is available online as a download but I did get a good quality reprint of this book through abebooks. I have been enjoying studying the various ways of drawing acanthus.
Overall, I think the best part of this journey for me has been making friends with a pencil! My previous way of studying illuminated letters was to take an historic example and update it with my own colours. This helped painting skills but did nothing for the design process. It also locked me into looking for a style of letter that would match my text. It was very empowering to find that I could design my own letters and foliate work to use with my script. I read a very important article on The Painters Keys this year about learning through copying the masters. It is valuable as a learning process but out of respect for the master that you have studied, we should destroy the canvas. I keep that in the back of my mind now as I look at historic examples to study! The historic manuscripts provide so much in the way of inspiration. I see them now more as a springboard to creativity rather than trying to copy them. I especially loved looking through the Persian manuscripts. Like the Italian manuscripts, their love of pink draws me instantly!
My personal studies in 2011 were very fulfilling. I am sad to say goodbye to this project but I am really looking foward to expanding it and seeing where else it will go. Thanks for reading and chiming in now and then. Happy New Year dear friends!

5 comments:

Dana said...

Oh, Heather! What fun it has been - and challenging at times -but we did it!!! Thank you for encouraging and inspiring me - and thinking of this project. It has been fantastic.

I read that article too and took a lot from it (Copying the Masters).

It has been fun to see your series develop into a teaching course. I am so proud of you. I can't wait to see what we do in 2012!

You are going out with a bang! These Zs are spectacular!

Thanks sweet friend.

Much love,
Dana

Dana said...

ps...I love your title!!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!!!!! This was so much fun. I can hardly believe another year has gone by! Thanks for playing!
xo,
Heather

Jane Farr said...

I really enjoyed following both you and Dana as you pursued your lettering projects this past year. Congratulations Heather, and thank you for sharing and explaining your processes along the way.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks so much for your comments along the way Jane!
xo,
Heather