Friday, November 4, 2011

Vintage Victorian V


This is the final version of the Victorian V that I talked about in last week's gilding post. It was done on the White Somerset Satin paper rather than the Soft white. I prefer the vintage look of the soft white but wanted to experiment with the brighter white. I used Caran D'Ache water soluble pencils to colour the design. It was interesting to see how they reacted to the paper. When I applied the water to the pigment, I could see the pigment fade rather than brighten like the Albrecht Durer pencils. The pastel burnish stage also faded into the paper. Although the scan does not pick it up, the entire design was burnished with the Diane Townsend white metallic pastel. I used the pastel to burnish over top of the painted letter and the coloured background burnish stage. It gives the whole piece a glow. On to W!

8 comments:

Dana said...

So delicate and angelic! I would love to see the glow ~ but can imagine it.

Another lovely V.

xo~~

ps...hope to be caught up with you in a few weeks! woo hoo!

Jody Meese said...

Vivacious! And vivid.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. Looking forward to seeing your botanical beauties!!!

xo,
Heather

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody!!! Wish I thought of those words!

Heather

Joseph Chapman said...

Very sweet, and thanks for the information about the Caran d'Ache pencils. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with W, and to whatever Jody comes up with for X.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Joseph!!! I miss you!!!!
I am looking forward to what Jody can come up with for X as well. I just stare at the letter blankly and wait for a catchy title. So far that hasn't worked for me.

Heather

Jane Farr said...

Your Victorian V is like a highlight reel of all the things I love about your work: the beautifully constructed letter, the flourishes, the flowers, the gilding, the ribbon, the watercolor and pastels. You bring it all together in a way that just makes me s..i..g..h....! You are coming down the homestretch! xo

Joseph Chapman said...

Well, one way to see what burnishing with a white metallic pastel looks like is to try it, so I've got some on the way from Dick Blick. I love how Diane Townsend pastels look like they were made in somebody's kitchen, probably using some strange Cuisinart accessory.