Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Illumination Study Day


Three times a year I get the opportunity to study with my illumination teacher Debbie Thompson Wilson. Debbie is a master illuminator. Her work is an absolute delight. She finds us incredible projects to work on during our study days. This weekend's class was called Angels And Demons. I didn't try the grotesque or the Titivilus border design but I did work on the kneeling angel. The illumination is an interpretation of an embroidered ornament on a Bishop's hood. The angel was based on a Renaissance design. This particular angel is kneeling and rather than holding the lily in her hand, the lily decoration is coming out from behind her wings. Palette colours are mainly yellow ochre, brown ochre, burnt sienna, horizon blue and WInsor Violet. The most challenging part of the design was painting the background and leaving room for the goldwork flourishes. The piece is flat gilded with 23K gold.

4 comments:

Haley said...

Gorgeous work! I can imagine it as part of a Christmas card. :-)

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Haley!!

Heather

Dana said...

Stunning, Heather! I, too, see this as a Christmas card. xo~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. It was intended to be my Christmas card but I am not sure yet. She was fun to paint.

xo

Heather