Thursday, August 25, 2011

Q is for Quick!


Still exploring the foliate elements of Persian Manuscripts and the influce can be seen in this piece. Although I simplified the shapes of the flowers and leaves I love the colouring style of the Persian illuminations. I am working with transparent watercolour instead of gouach but the colours are similar to the ones I have seen online. This Q was done quite quickly! Although I had the design drawn on my Fabriano watercolour paper, I didn't have time to paint it. This morning I used Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils for the design. The letter Q is mainly Cobalt Turquoise (a nice Fairy Tale colour) and was shaded with Pthalo Blue. The ribbon is Magenta and shaded with Red Violet. The leaves were done in Leaf Green and Light Green. McCaffery brown is used in the desing and flourishes and outlining were done in shell gold. The piece is flat gilded with 23k American shade gold. Finished size is 5"x2".

5 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Quintessential!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody! Brilliant word!!!!

Dana said...

Well...I can't top Jody's Q word - but it is Quite beautiful! Cobalt Turquoise is one of my favorites.

Lovely piece!

xo~~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana! Cobalt turquoise is quite dreamy!!!
xo,
Heather

Jane Farr said...

Lovely "Q" Heather! I admire your dedication to studying various manuscripts.