Friday, August 12, 2011

P is for Purple


I tried my hand with the painting the letter in gouache. While I like gouache, I am not thrilled with it on HP paper. I tend to get nicer effects of vellum. I miss the transparency of watercolour in the letter but the gouache stands up as a good foil to the bright gold leaf. Finished size is 4" x 1 3/4" on Fabriano HP paper. The foliage is painted with Holbein Leaf green and Winsor Newton Sap green. The lavender roses and buds were painted with my Diane Townsend Pastels and darkened slightly with Winsor Newton Mineral Violet. McCaffery brown and Finetec gold were used for accent strokes.

7 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Phenomenal!

Jane Farr said...

Your Passionate Purple P is Perfect and Pleasing in every way! Love it!!

Yogi said...

pretty. I'm not one for gouache either.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody!!!!!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane!!!! You and Jody did a great job with the P words!!!!

Dana said...

Perky Purple P in gouache. I actually like it a lot - the way it stands out Pleasantly from the Pastels, leaves and Petals. Pretty and Perfection!
xo~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!!!!! More great P words!!!!!

xo,
Heather