Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Illumination Class Day Two: The Fox and the Rebec


I enjoyed my last day of illumination class painting this little fox. Usually we spend a week in illumination class but this year we reduced the class to two days. This little fox was based on a 15th Century French Manuscript. I worked on goat skin from Pergamena for this piece. I prepared the skin with pumice and gum sandrac and found it held the painted lines beautifully. The finished size is 3"x2" and is flat gilded with 23K gold leaf. Such a wonderful day spent illuminating.

7 comments:

Dana said...

What a beauty!!! I love the chic outfit and movement of the fox. One of my favorites of yours ~ but then again, I love them all!!

xoxo

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!!! He was so much fun to do. A great way to spend the day. I liked painting his little boots!

acornmoon said...

Beautiful !

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Valerie! Still learning so much about illumination.

Jane Farr said...

So cute! I think the fox must be playing for his dinner.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane. It almost looks as if he is waiting for his dinner to fall out of the sky!

Wedding-Calligrapher said...

This is really lovely! I love the colours, and it's such a cute little illustration.