Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Back to Flourishes!


I am very happy with Old World Iron Gall ink. It was such a treat to meet David Spitzer who creates the ink at the Phoenix conference. I came home well stocked up with the ink and wanted to try my line and wash technique with it. So far, I only use McCaffery's brown for this technique, but the Old World Ink seemed to do the job. The ink is more densely black than McCaffery's Penman's Black. It holds beautiful hairlines and shades. It is becoming a studio favourite of mine. This little bird flourish is 5x7 on Somerset Satin Soft White Printmaking paper. Another treasure from The Pastel Studio. The paper is very soft and slightly textured but is a perfect surface for flourishing. This piece was done entirely with an Esterbrook 357 pen point which is extremely sharp and flexible, but the paper did not resist the nib. The flourish is tinted with Derwent Metallic Watercolour pencils and then blended with a moist watercolour brush. Great fun on a rainy Wednesday afternoon.

6 comments:

Jane Farr said...

Lovely work Heather! It's good to know the Old World holds up to your wash technique.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane. It just adds a slightly different look than the McCaffery brown. Still enjoying both effects.

Joseph Chapman said...

It is a nice ink, isn't it? I've heard it said that it's more acidic and will eat pens faster than McCaffery's--I don't have a way at home of measuring the pH of dark liquids so I can't be sure.

Lovely work as always!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Hi Joseph,

I really like the Old World Ink. I haven't found it more acidic than McCaffery's but it would be interesting to find out more about it. I do find that I have to clean the pen point with water more often than with the McCaffery's inks.

Thanks for the kind words! Looking forward to seeing you in October!

Dana said...

So beautifully done. I, too, love the 357 - but need to try this ink! It seems I have a jar somewhere. Isn't that terrible! Tells you what a mess my studio is today. :)
Thanks for sharing this process.
xo~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Definitely try the ink! I think you will really like it. My studio is in the same way at the moment.
xo,
Heather