Friday, July 29, 2011

Overly Ornate Orbed O


This design started out as a sketch in my journal. I kept distractedly doodling on it and wondered what it would look like if I added more pen work filigree than usual on the gold orbs. When it came time for the gilding, I used a little jar that I keep for my tiny fragments of gold leaf. Somehow, there was a scrap of copper leaf in the jar, and one orb was gilded with the copper leaf. Nothing left to do except add more copper leaf to the piece. I also decided to add some lemon gold to the mix. So this 6" x 1/2"piece on Arches HP was gilded with 22K American Shade gold, Copper leaf and Lemon gold. Still being influenced by the intense colours of Islamic manuscripts, this peice is painted with Mineral Violet, Sap Green, Leaf Green and Opera Rose. Highlights are added with Permanent White.

8 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Outstanding!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody!!!!

Dana said...

Outstanding, yes!! Not Overly Ornate at all. It is jaw dropping gorgeous!!!
xo~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana!!!!!
xo,
Heather

Jane Farr said...

It's opulent and luxurious! It's even more fun to view these now, having watched you in person and understanding your process. :)

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks for the kind words Jane! These are so much fun!
xo,
Heather

acornmoon said...

O for Oh My!

I love the gilding, is the gold in liquid form i.e. ink?

Heather Victoria Held said...

Many thanks Valerie. The gold is in transfer leaf form using gesso and gilding size. There is gold ink pen work flourishing added to the design.

Heather