Thursday, June 2, 2011

K.....Kouldn't think of a Katchy Kaption


I worked on the letter K by grabbing the closest piece of watercolour paper. It turned out to be Saunders 140 lb hot press paper. The white is slightly warmer than the Arches HP but the texture of the paper is quite soft with almost a suede feel to it. It took the Rolco gilding size wonderfully . This letter is gilded with 23K loose leaf lemon gold so it has a little extra shine to it. The K and ribbon are painted with Winsor Newton Purple Lake using a moist brush technique. I found that the paper fought against the Purple Lake with this moist brush technique but the wet brush caused some feathering. I wrestled with that portion of the design but the flowers, leaves and pastel burnish were not a problem. The flowers are painted with WN Opera Rose and Carmine and the leaves are Holbein Leaf green with some Winsor Newton Terre Verte shading. Pastel background is done with Diane Townsend Terrages Pastels, my new favourite tool in the studio. It really helps that Canada's only Pastel Studio is only a 12 minute drive from home.The finished size of this piece is 5" x 1 1/2"

10 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Knockout, of course!

Jane Farr said...

Another beauty Heather! Thanks for sharing your process - frustrations included. The flowers and their surrounding foliage are wonderful!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Many thanks Jane! Still loving this project!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks so much Jody!!

Renee Troy said...

Your work is extraordinary! What was held in high esteem needs to be given a face lift if based on what is available today in supplies and tools. I'm sure that if an illuminator from the past was to see your letters they would be in awe.
A job well done!

Dana said...

Love the title and the art! I am glad to know that you have frustrations too. It seems it just dances off the pen and brush for you. I am Krazy for this one! Love it!

So sorry I am dragging behind!

xo~Dana

Heather Victoria Held said...

Many thanks Renee! I would love to know what a medieval illuminator would think of the materials that are available today.
Heather

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana! I run into my share of road blocks and disaster areas. But this has been so much fun. Thanks for playing! Can't wait to see your beautiful botanicals.
xo,
Heather

Neil said...

K is, of course, for the Knight's Knowledge. But I won't knock the suggestions in earlier replies.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Neil!! Wish I had thought of that!

Heather