Thursday, May 5, 2011

I is for Incandescence


I guess I should be used to my indecision (another good i-word). All I knew for sure when I was designing these initials was that I wanted meandering foliage in the design. It was difficult to design a ribbon script letter because it resembled a J. I finally opted for a block type letter but feel that they look a little like a Victorian candlestick. The lavendar initial is gilded with 23K lemon gold leaf. The finished size is 4"x2" on Arches HP paper. I wanted the vinework to take a slightly different shape than my other initial designs.

This second design was actually my first attempt at the letter I. I had just been looking through Mira Calligraphiae Monumenta which influenced my decision to incorporate a little snail into the design. It is flat gilded with 23 K gold. The initial is painted with Windor Newton Rose Dore and the flowers are painted with Holbein Horizon blue. Finished size is 5" x1 1/2" on Arches HP paper.

12 comments:

Kim Shenberger said...

Both are exquisite, Victoria. I tried to choose a favorite but I just can't. I do love the snail.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Kim!

Jody Meese said...

Incomparable!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody! Still enjoying this project!

Dana said...

They are both so Incredible!!!!!

I love, love, love the snail.

xo~

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. On to the challenge of J!

xo,
Heather

Jane Farr said...

These are beautiful Heather! I love the rose and blue together - and the snail! perfect!!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Jane! It has been such a fun project!

ruthie said...

Beautiful calligraphy, i love the floral designs.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Ruthie!

Heather

acornmoon said...

"I" is for incredible!

especially love that little snail.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Valerie!!!