Thursday, April 7, 2011

G is for Guess Who


I had an enchanting childhood. My mother is an artist and my Dad ran a print shop in the basement while I was growing up. I was always surrounded by artistic people, papers, inks, pens, pencils, and a large library of illustrated books. I was influenced by the illustrators of my fairy tale books such as Walter Crane and Randolph Caldecott. Victorian illustrated books still hold a prominent space on my bookshelves. This little cherub carrying the G is in homage to one of my all time favourite illustrators. She was known for her enchanting childhood vignettes in outdoor scenes. Garlands of roses and ribbons would appear in her work as well as delightful floral studies. These appealed to me first as a child, then as a florist and now as a pointed pen artist. She still enthralls me and influences my work. The cherub is based on one of her illustrations. Although I couldn't capture the same delightful features that she could create in her illustrations, I enjoyed working in her style and trying to capture the essence of her work. The finished piece is 3x3 on Pergamenata paper. I used shell gold highlights in the cherub's hair and wings and added flat gilding highlights to the initial. Pastel and watercolour accents were added to the composition. G is for.......

6 comments:

Dana said...

This is not only one of my favorites of your alphabet series, but my favorite post ~ as we get a little insight into what inspires you!

My guess is Kate Greenaway???

Just lovely, Heather.

xxoo~~

Jody Meese said...

Not hard to "guess who" did this beautiful work!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana, G is for Kate Greenaway one of my most favourite illustrators. I still reach for her story books to inspire me. Her colours, graceful lines, floral studies and dancing children are so delightful. Looking forward to your G whenever it is ready!!!!!
xo,
Heather

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody!

Heather

Jane Farr said...

You are so "G"ifted Heather! This is beautiful. I confess I had to Google Kate Greenaway, but her work *is* enchanting. I found some images with ribbons as letters that were beautiful. Your Guess Who piece is a lovely tribute to her and to your childhood.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane! I think Kate's ribbon letters are probably the underlying influence in my own. My childhood was so saturated with her illustrations. I still love her work!

Xo,
Heather