Thursday, March 10, 2011

E is for Embroidery


Most of my artistic background is in Victorian needlework. I still have a few of my embroidery books in the studio although I rarely pick up needle and thread these days. The first design was influenced a needlework initial. I had fun adapting it to gold leaf, magenta swarovski crystals, watercolour and pastel. It is 4" x2" on Pergamenata paper which is rapidly becoming one of my favourite papers to work with.

The second initial is also on Pergamenata paper with McCaffery Brown ink, gold leaf, watercolour and my new favourite Diane Townsend Terrages pastels. I added some hot foil accents to this piece which is 2"x5".

6 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Gorgeous, Heather! Now that you mention it I can totally see the needlework influence, French knots and all!

Dana said...

They are both so beautiful, Heather.

I love your color choices.

xo~Dana

Dana said...

...and E should be for Exquisite!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. Can't wait to see what you are working on!
xo,
Heather

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody. The centres of the flowers would be French Knots and the petals would be daisy stitch.

Jane Farr said...

Stunning!! You are building quite a beautiful library of letters Heather! I am so happy we will meet each other at IAMPETH! :)