Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ribbon Script D


This is a vintage Victorian lettering style called Ribbon script. It is based on the Copperplate Script capitals that I am currently exploring and holds so many possibilities for embellishment. Once again, I started playing with pastels for background effects. It is flat gilded on Arches 140 lb. HP paper and entirely painted using Caran D'Ache Classicolor Metallic watercolour pencils. It was my second attempt at the letter D and is my favourite in the series so far. Finished size is 5"x2".

My first attempt at D is a medieval Drollery based on a 15th Century woodcut. My guess is that it was intended to be D, but who knows! The study of marginal drolleries in medieval manuscripts is fascinating. An excellent book on the subject is Images in the Margins by Margot McIlwain Nishimura. This piece is 2/1/2 x 2 1/2 on Arches 140 lb. HP paper with flat gilding. At this point in the illuminated letter project, I realize that I am much more comfortable with Victorian letterforms. The appearance of Medieval and Renaissance forms will probably be scarce!

9 comments:

Dana said...

Heather! These are absolutely breathtaking! I am astonished. I think this is some of your very best work ever.
The ribbon glistens. I have never seen anything like the medieval D! Great fun.
...and D is for Dana! ;D
Fascinating indeed. Wow! I may have to slither out...
xo

Kim Shenberger said...

I love the ribbon script D, Heather.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana! I am having so much fun with these Victorian letters So glad you like them!! I have found them to be very peaceful to work on! Looking forward to your Delightful D!!!
XO,
Heather

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Kim!

Jane Farr said...

Heather, you are incredible! Your D's are brilliant!! There's such joy in looking at the details of your work.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Jane. This is a very peaceful and joyful project to work on in dead of winter!

acornmoon said...

I love the Medieval "D" best of all.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Valerie. He was a lot of fun!

Альбина Рассеина said...

Incredible beauty. I am delighted!