Friday, January 14, 2011

The Year Long Alphabet Project


Over the past few years I have been studying illumination techniques with my teacher Debbie Thompson Wilson. I love to paint and add hints of gold but I find that I put this work aside to concentrate on flourishing, lettering, teaching workshops and commissions. In December, my dear friend Dana and fellow blogger at The Ginger Parasol decided to work on a year long project of decorated letters. Our goal is to have one completed every other week and work through the alphabet by year's end. This little letter is done on Arches HP paper and the finished dimensions are 3 1/2 x 1 1/2. It is gilded with 23 k gold and I used finetec gold in the border arond the letter. It was painted with Holbein and Winsor Newton watercolours. The design was based on the style of Alberto Sangorski who is one of my favourite Illuminators. This should be a fun project and a chance to explore different techniques.

4 comments:

Dana said...

It is going to be so much fun, Heather! Thanks for inspiring me to do this.
Now onward and upward ~ B.

xoxo~Dana

Jane Farr said...

Gorgeous! I look forward to seeing your and Dana's next 25 jewels. You are off to a spectacular start. Best wishes for reaching your goal!

Jody Meese said...

Beautiful! Looking forward to future installments!

Catherine said...

Here is to supporting your goal! May you find the time to spend on each letter! I know the end results will be terrific! Looking forward to all posts!