Saturday, November 6, 2010

Little C


I love taking a day out to study with my illumination teacher. Today we worked on a very simple illuminated letter. This letter is based on a 16th Century Woodcut. Not sure what the floral elements were in the woodcut design, but mine turned out with a bit of a Christmas look, so I added the white gouache background to look like snow.I used Cobalt blue for the illuminated letter against a background of Paynes Grey. Permanent Rose, Winsor Red and Cadmium Red were used in the flowers and the leaves are Olive and Viridian. I enjoyed my painting time today! Wish I could devote more time to it.

6 comments:

Dana said...

I wish you could devote more time to your illuminations, too. It is truly a gift you have and I know how much joy it brings you.

I adore this letter - the colors and design - perfect!

xoxo~~Dana

Joseph Chapman said...

Nice.

What did you use as a mordant for the gold? Instacoll?

Heather Victoria Held said...

Hi Joseph,

I am using rolco gold size for the gold leaf. It is an acrylic size but with careful application, can be raised, although usually I make gesso if I am going to raise the gold.

Thank you for the pearlex pigment. I am looking forward to giving it a try.
How is the silverpoint engrossing coming?

talk to you soon,
Heather

Joseph Chapman said...

At first I read "ronco gold size"--maybe from the same people who make Ginsu oblique pen holders and the amazing Engross-O-Matic! Order before midnight tonight!

Enjoy the PearlEx. My attempts to combine engrossing and silverpoint are entering the late fooling around stage.

Jane Farr said...

Stunning work Heather! (and you call this simple?!) :)

acornmoon said...

C is for Christmas, beautiful work as always.