Thursday, October 28, 2010

Christmas Card Illumination


I am so privileged to be able to take study days with a Master Illuminator, Debbie Thompson Wilson. She resides in the Guelph area and often teaches workshops at the Fieldcote Museum in Ancaster. This week, we were working on Christmas card ideas. I know I am rushing the season, but it will be upon us before we know it. This image is based on a 1827 Victorian Christmas card. The original was done in very pale washes of olive green, grey and soft blue. I wanted it to be a bit brighter so I used a lot of cadmium red in the design. There are a few spots of 23K gilding throughout the design.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Oh, Heather! How beautiful! It truly is stunning. I love the detail, even in the feet! They look as if they are tiptoeing lightly across the banner.

The colors and illumination are definitely putting me in the Christmas spirit!

xoxo~~Dana

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. I had so much fun with those little feet!

Jane Farr said...

Stunning work Heather! The colors you've chosen are perfect, and I love the fur. I can almost feel it! :)