Thursday, September 30, 2010

Loving Copperplate


Alright, don't call the Spencerian police but I have been practicing copperplate these days. I love the different variations of the hand, the freedom to use Ornamental penmanship capitals and it's ability to lend itself to offhand flourishes! What's not to like? At the moment it appears to be Spencerplate but things will change. This 3x5 piece is done on Rives BFK with the new Zebra G nib. Love the flexibility of the nib and its ability to tackle textured papers. I will post more copperplate images as I continue to study. I am working with English Roundhand and Engravers Script. Trying to get the feel for the letterforms and bring my own touch to the hand.

12 comments:

Jody Meese said...

Spencerian police, indeed! They're probably just happy anyone knows the difference. Just discovered the Zebra G at a Bill Kemp class last weekend and it has changed my life :-)--ordered twenty of them straightaway. Love your "Spencerplate" and the "d" in particular makes me swoon. Beautiful.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Many thanks Jody. It was Bill who started me on the Zebra G nib as well. I wish I could have been in his class as well. He is a great teacher and does wonderful work. Hope you post some class work!

Jane Farr said...

Beautiful piece Heather! (If varying a particular hand is a crime, then the Script Police will have to lock me up!!!) :)

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane. I get tired of evading the script police! Sometimes you just have to let the pen go wild!

Dana said...

Gorgeous piece, Heather!

Don't worry! Keep going with your Spencerplate - I will bail you out of jail!! :)

xoxo~Dana

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana! Good that you are watching my back!!!!!

Joseph Chapman said...

Very sweet. It reminds me of how beautiful the title pages of musical scores used to be--this is just waiting for a new Gershwin to write Rhapsody in Brown.

My supply of Zebra G nibs just arrived yesterday--time to mess up some paper!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thank you Joseph! I had been looking at musical scores a few days earlier. I get very influenced by anything Victorian. Hope you enjoy your Zebra G nibs.
Xo,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Fantastic website, I hadn't noticed inkflourishes.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
Continue the excellent work!

d. reyné said...

I am your newest follower and I am thrilled to have found you!
I love your work...it's stunning!
Have a wonderful weekend
Donna

Heather Victoria Held said...

thanks for the kind words!!! Welcome aboard Donna! Thanks for visiting!
Heather

Hil-ink said...

Heather, Copperplate should come easy to you since you are so great at your flourishes! I have a feeling you will master it in a short while!