Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Very Different


I have just returned from the Healey exhibit in Kansas City. The exhibit was the largest unseen collection of Golden Age Ornamental Penmanship that anyone can remember. I was very influenced by the aging papers that were fading into sepia tones. The work was highly illustrative. There were several originals of C. C. Canan's work in the collection. He would often include little illustrated medallions surrounded by flourishes. This little commission evolved out of that exhibit as well as pictures the client sent of her vacation in Lake Placid. The edges of the diploma parchment are tinted with pastel and coloured graphite. Once again I used my prized bottle of McCaffery's brown and a vintage Esterbrook 357 entirely in the design.

7 comments:

Dana Cochran said...

Heather,

You just keep getting better! I adore this illustrated medallion!! What a clever idea.

The client is going to be thrilled!!!

Beathtaking!

xo ~Dana

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. It was a real joy to do this piece. Looks like she wants a second one!

Jody Meese said...

I love this, Heather! What a wonderful thing to take away from the Healey exhibit. Sure wish I could have been there.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jody. You would have really loved the exhibit. Within the year, the images that were photographed will be on the Iampeth website and you will be able to enjoy them all.

Jane Farr said...

Wow!! This is gorgeous Heather! I love the design - a beautiful vignette showcasing your illustration and lettering skills. To see all that original OP work first hand must have been overwhelming (in a delightful way!) It has obviously provided you with plenty of creative fuel.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Jane you will be thrilled when you see the work on the Iampeth website. I took pictures but they did not turn out the greatest. Soon I will post more work that was inspired by the Healey exhibit. It was the height of the Victorian illustration era so I was in my glory. Thanks for the kind words!

acornmoon said...

I do wish I could do that! Your work is so lovely.