Saturday, April 10, 2010

Taking a Study Day


Today the Spencerian Study Group in England met. They were led by Master Penman Brian Walker. Whenever they have a study day, I take one here in my studio to feel connected with the group. They are working on lots of different projects. Some are working on quotes, some are doing very complex cross drill exercises, some are working on free-arm capitals and some have taken on very large projects. I chose to work on a P. W. Costello illuminated initial. It was one of the most involved illuminated initials I have ever done. I can see why he was a Master Engrosser. At the end of the project I had much more respect of his work. I am in awe of his techniques. I think I will have another go at this initial on vellum with more subdued colours.

2 comments:

Dana Cochran said...

WOW!! Stunning!
xo ~Dana

Jane Farr said...

This is why your work stands apart - careful study and observation to detail. Exceptional work Heather!