Sunday, April 25, 2010

Illumination Day


I had the privilege today of taking another class with Master Illuminator Debbie Thompson Wilson. Just being in the same room with her is inspiring. To see what work she can accomplish in just a few hours is amazing. I had chosen this illustration based on a illumination in the margin of the Hours of Catherine of Cleves. I tried to bring this little bird to life. The technique I used in the feathers was a dry brush technique. It was very relaxing and meditative. This piece will be framed for Holly's graduation.

4 comments:

Dana Cochran said...

Heather, you never cease to amaze me! Your work is brilliant! I could look at the detail in this forever. I see how it would be meditative. Really, everything you do is just impeccable. I would love to see you do a book soon. ...and teach illumination!
Love, Dana

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Dana. I really loved working on this little bird!

Jane Farr said...

Beautiful work Heather! You were most successful in bringing the bird to life, because I can feel the feathers just by looking at them. Just lovely!

Heather Victoria Held said...

Thanks Jane. He was a lot of fun to do. Can't wait to tackle another illumination project!