Monday, October 12, 2009

The Spencerian Saga 2009






Last week I had the opportunity for the fourth time to spend a week with Master Penman Michael Sull at the beautiful Lakehouse Inn in Geneva-on-the-Lake, Ohio. Studying with Michael has been a turning point in my life. He has instilled a love of ornamental penmanship, especially 19th Century American Penmanship. He teaches with passion and loves to tell stories of the Golden Age of American Penmanship. This year, he has been teaching Spencerian Penmanship for more years that Platt Rogers Spencer himself. We spent a wonderful week there. I am posting a few images of some flourishes I did on Friday. Most of the week was spent practicing lettering, signature writing, capitals, cross drills and the capital stem. I was overwhelmed at the end of the Saga when Michael presented me with The Spencerian Heritage Award. I suspect I will spend the rest of my life trying to live up to to words he inscribed on the award.

2 comments:

Dana Cochran said...

Heather, never has there been anyone so deserving. Your work is unsurpassed. Congratulations!!
xo~Dana

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Heather! Your penmanship is beautiful.
Izabela P